Jackfruit isn’t readily available in the UK and is usually grown in tropical parts of the world, however you should be able to pick up a tin of it in the world food aisle of a larger supermarket. Mine cost less than £1.50 and I got 3 meals out of it! Although it naturally has a slightly sweet taste (it’s part of the same family as figs, mulberries and breadfruit) it works well with savoury flavours and is often used in place of pork and tuna.
I paired this meal with some simple fried plantains, brown rice and a simple side salad. It came in at a total of 18g of protein and only 8g of fat – which isn’t bad if you ask me!
- 115g brown rice, cooked to instructions
- Spray oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 150g jackfruit, shredded
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 50g sweetcorn (you can add more)
- 40g Jerk BBQ sauce (about 3 tbsp)
- Start by putting the rice on and cooking according to the packet instructions
- Heat a little spray oil in a pan and add the garlic. Fry for 2 minutes before adding the chilli, jackfruit and red onion. Fry for another couple of minutes then add the red pepper.
- Fry until everything becomes soft, then stir in the sweetcorn and BBQ sauce
- Serve with the rice and garnish with coriander