If you’ve decided to cut out dairy or become vegan, you may find yourself missing creamy pasta sauces. I know I do – which is why I’m always creating alternatives. This one is infused with lemon to give it a slight tang, but it works really well with the thick and creamy sauce. You can serve it with any pasta you want – I used linguine but macaroni, pasta shells and fusilli will all work fabulously.
- 150g linguine
- 30g margarine (I used avocado oil spread from Lidl)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 20g plain flour (approx 2 tbsp)
- 150ml cashew milk
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: Lemon zest to taste
- Cook pasta according to instructions and set aside
- Melt the margarine in a small sauce pan then add the garlic until it starts to sizzle
- Turn down the heat and gently add in the flour, whisking constantly
- Once a paste has formed, gradually add on the cashew milk, continuing to whisk
- Add in the lemon juice (add a little bit at a time so it’s to your taste) and the nutritional yeast. Whisk constantly over the heat for 2 minuites then add your pasta, mix and serve!