Amaretti cookies are usually made from egg whites, which is a huge part of the recipe. However, I swapped egg whites and used whipped aquafaba instead. The result? AN AMAZING, EGG-FREE, CHEWY, INDULGENT AMARETTI COOKIE. These came out soft and squidgy on the inside, and slightly crunchy on the outside. Ok, I may have not realised that they’d flatten so much in the oven and they came out quite big, but who cares?! The bigger the better in my opinion (when it comes to cookies anyway, sadly I can’t say the same thing when I wake up with a spot on my forehead).
Incase you’re wondering, aquafaba is the juice that legumes sit in when they’re in the can. So next time you’re cooking with chickpeas, save the liquid and try baking with it! You can also try out these Vegan Coconut Macaroons if you’re not an amaretti fan, or it can be subbed as egg whites for just about anything. Even macarons and meringues!
- 75ml aquafaba
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 250g almond meal
- 125g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180c and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the aquafaba and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (you should be able to tip the bowl over your head with nothing spilling) This usually takes about 10 minutes for me (even when using an electric one) so be patient. I wouldn’t reccommend doing it by hand
- In a seperate bowl, combine the almond meal, caster sugar and baking powder
- Fold in 1/3 of the whipped aquafaba to the almond meal mixture and add the vanilla and almond extract. Then add the remaining aquafaba and carefully fold through until a dough is formed
- Form the mixture into balls (I made about 12, but I could’ve done them smaller) and place on the baking tray. Leave a few inches between each cookie as they flatten a little in the oven
- Sprinkle over some icing sugar (using a sieve is best) then bake in the oven for 15 minutes. You may need slightly longer or shorter depending on your oven to keep a close eye on them!
- Remove from oven, allow to cool completely and be prepared to be in food heaven!