There are so many vegan and vegetarian options available for Christmas this year! There’s also a lot that you can make at home with a few simple ingredients. Keep an eye out for more yummy mains that I’ll be posting in the lead up to Christmas!
- 1/2 a butternut squash, peeled and diced
- Spray oil
- 3 brown onions, sliced
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- 200g spinach
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Optional: 2tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 125ml oat cream
- 1 pack pre-rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp plant based milk
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Peel and chop butternut squash and place on a roasting tin. Spray with a little oil and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until soft
- In the meantime, over a medium heat with a little spray oil, sautee the onions and garlic. When they become translucent add the mushrooms and sautee for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms begin to cook
- Add in the spinach and sautee until it shrinks in size, add in the garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and cream. Stir well then take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Remove squash from oven and allow to cool
- Once cooled, lay out your pastry and spoon in the spinach mixture. Add the butternut squash on top.
- Fold each ends of the pastry up (like you’re wrapping a present), use a little water or plant-based milk if it doesn’t seal, then placed the sealed side bottom down on a baking tray. Use a fork to seal either end and brush with a little bit of plant-based milk.
- Bake for 40 minutes and serve with your favourite greens!