I find it’s so easy to eat salads throughout summer, but the moment the sun disappears salads are 100x less appealing (to me anyway!). This is diffucult as it means it’s much harder for me to get my veg in, and eating something cold for my dinner is the last thing I want. I came up with this roast veg salad which is warm, flavourful and perfect for cold, dark winter days. You can mix up this salad by adding any veg you have such as peppers, courgettes, parsnips and aubergine!
- 2 large carrots
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika
- 1/2 a sweet potato, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- Spray oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 200g vegan chicken-style strips (I use these)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g chopped kale
- 1 tbsp water
- Optional toppings: violife greek-style cheese, mixed seeds
- Preheat oven to 190c and line a baking tray
- Carefully cut small widthways slits into each carrot length, stopping three-quarters of the way down. Continue along the length of the carrot to achieve a hasselback effect.
- Arrange the carrots, sweet potato and red onion on a baking tray. Combine maple syrup, olive oil and spices in a small bowl and pour over the veggies
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, until they begin to blacken
- Meanwhile, spray a pan with non-stick cooking oil and cook the chilli and garlic over a medium head. Add in the chicken-style pieces and paprika and stir for about 5 minutes
- Add in te chopped kale, 1 tbsp water, stir and cover the pan for 5 minutes to allow the kale to steam
- After 5 minutes, stir the pan again, and turn the heat off. Once the oven vegetables are ready, plate up the kale mixture and top with the remaining vegetables and enjoy!