The coconut merchant very kindly sent me some of their dessicated coconut to use in some of my recipes. I had never made macaroons before so I thought now was the chance to try it out!
I made these vegan by using Aquafaba. Aquafaba is the cooking liquid from legumes. When you drain out your tinned chickpeas- save the water so you can make these! One thing I can say is that don’t whisk the aquafaba by hand… you will end up with a very stiff arm and won’t get very far.
I would usually use a hand blender which is what is reccommended by most people for whipping aquafaba but unfortunately I don’t have one. Also adding cream of tartar also helps with whipping… unfortunately I didn’t have that either. I ended up using my blender and pulsing it, until I got it as thick as possible. Be cautious though as you can over-whip it!
155ml (1/2 cup) aquafaba (juice from 1 can of chickpeas)
140g dessicated coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
20g or 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or granulated/caster sugar)
4 tbsp maple syrup
40g dark chocolate
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 160c and line a baking tray
- Whisk up the aquafaba until it forms stiff peaks (here’s a good guide)
- Add in the dessicated coconut, vanilla, coconut sugar and maple syrup and carefully fold in
- Scoop out the mixture the size of 1 ice cream scoop at a time, and carefully mould into a little dome with your hands. Place each dome on the baking tray (try not to squeeze them too much!)
- Place the domes in the oven at 160c for 20 minutes, checking on them regularly to make sure they aren’t going too dark
- After 20 minuites, turn the heat up to 180c and bake for a further 5-8 minutes – again keep an eye on them
- Remove from oven – it is important that you DON’T TOUCH until they have cooled down. They are very delicate while they are hot and can fall apart but they get harder as they cool.
- Once cool, combine coconut oil and chocolate in a small bowl and heat in microwave for 20-30 seconds until melted
- Dip each macaroon into the mixture and place back on the baking tray upside down
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes
- Pour the remaining chocolate over the macaroons and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week