I’ve always avoided making pancakes because I am awful at making them! They never come out perfectly round and fluffy and I find them stressful to make. HOWEVER I tried out this recipe the other day and they turned out well! Once I had the basics of the consistency and ratios down, I decided to create my own recipe. Mine is quite a bit different to the one I orginially used but just as tastyyyy, less sugar and more protein!
Serves: 1 (4-5 medium pancakes, 6-8 small)
- Coconut oil for frying
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 banana (save the rest for the topping)
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed (optional – will work without too!)
- 1 scoop (around 1/4 cup) plant-based vanilla protein powder – vivolife protein is the best for this
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour – regular flour will work too
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Topping ideas: nut butter, vegan chocolate sauce, berries, cocoa nibs, banana, chopped nuts, yogurt, cocoa nibs, figs
- Turn oven on and set to a low heat (around 100c)
- Combine all pancake ingredients in a blender and blend until batter is silky smooth
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add coconut oil
- Allow the pan to heat up completely, before pouring some of the batter in the pan. The higher you pour from the better (within reason – I poured from about eye-height), it will form a nice round pancake this way!
- Fry on one side for around 1-2 minutes before flipping around
- Once the first pancake is done, place in a lined ovenproof dish & put in the oven so it stays warm while you are making the other pancakes
- Repeat steps 4-6 until you have made all pancakes
- Plate up the pancakes, add the toppings of your choice and ENJOY!