Baked aubergine is one of my favourites and I almost always pair it with tofu and veggies. I had this meal 2 days in a row, adding a serving of quinoa for my lunch portion. I like to use tofu from The Tofoo Co – it does not need to be prepped or pressed which saves a lot of time!
- 1 block Smoked tofu
- 1 tsp mirin**
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar**
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1t sp miso paste
- tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 chilli chopped
- 1 spring onion chopped (plus another for garnish – optional)
** Not essential
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of the tofu marinade (try and get some bits of chilli, garlic and ginger!)
- Combine tofu marinade ingredients in a bowl together
- In a separate bowl mix ingredients for aubergine marinade
- Chop tofu and add to the bowl. Cover and refrigerate for as long as possible (I like to give it 2 hours minimum!)
- Slit aubergine in a criss cross pattern
- Place on baking tray, drizzle over half the marinade per half aubergine and roast for 30 mins (180 degrees).
- In the meantime, heat a griddle pan. Chop 1 spring onion and add to the pan. Then add the tofu.
- Drizzle over remaining marinade, saving the last bit, which you can add to the aubergine 15 mins into cooking to make it extra juicy! This is optional.
- Turn tofu after around 7 mins and cook on the other side for another 7 mins.
- Plate up and serve with your fav veggies! I opted for tender stem broccoli sautéed in sesame oil with red onion. I also had it with quinoa on one day and topped aubergine with sesame seeds